Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Random Jumbled Up Thinking

     I decided that I lovehate archaeology.  Hyperious is an alchemist and a completionist of sorts.  I must have the recipes for my professions.  I must!  All that eludes me in my alchemy cookbook is the Vial of the Sands.  Well, there are a few random Vanilla drops that I never got around to getting, mainly because I don't feel like soloing Blackwing Lair every week for the drops, and I don't want to just grind and grind level 58 mobs in EPL for six months.  Plus, who gives a crap about transmuting Essence of Undeath to Essence of Water?
     But yeah, the Vial of the Sands eludes me.  I've been grinding archaeology for a while now, and I swear, I get one Tol'vir digsite for every 9,386,204 Night Elf digsites in Kalimdor.  I'm pretty sure with the quantity of fragments I've picked up, I could actually rebuild the entire Night Elf civilization from scratch.  I've seen two Canopic Jars so far in my search.  Sadly, once I do manage to find that bloody recipe (and I will, make no mistake about it), there's still the matter of the actual cost two making two of them.
     Hype? Why two?
     My wife needs one as well.  There's an achievement involved, plus she collects mounts and pets better than I do.
     Having expounded on just why I hate archaeology so much, I do have to add in that I also love it.  I love the little bits of flavor text and such when I get a new item.  I also love getting Imprint of a Kraken Tentacle twice in a row along with the Chest of Tiny Glass Animals multiple times in a grind.  These valuable vendor junk items do at least ensure that I'll be making some money while I grind my digsites (and my mind) into oblivion.  So there's that.

     I wish we could do more dailies.  I mean really.  25, while it may seem like a lot, is gone pretty fast when you're trying to accomplish something.  For example, when I've completed my cooking and fishing dailies and traipsed across Hyjal for my Molten Front dailies, I've only got like 6 dailies left.  I want to complete the Pebble Dailies and the Glop, Son of Glop dailies for the achievements, so that brings me down to four if they're available.  But there are other dailies I'd like to do.  I want to keep doing Dragonmaw Dailies and the other Therazane Dailies (maybe...) as well as whatever else I can find.  I realize that the limit is in place primarily to limit the amount of money that can be made in a single day by a single character by questing, but I feel like the time has come to increase the limit if not remove it entirely.  Perhaps 30?  That'd be nice.

     I spent a little time digging around El's Extreme Anglin' and looking at all the various fishing gear and such that's out there.  I realized that, should you manage to aquire the BiS Fishing gear (anything that increases fishing skill), you could potentially be sitting at a fishing skill of well over 600.

    I'm bored, so here comes the math.  I'm going to ignore the stuff that only comes from the Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza and focus on what anyone and everyone can get without going insane.
     525 Max Level
   +  30 Mastercraft Kalu'ak Fishing Pole
   +    5 High Test Eternium Fishing Line (from Dalaran Fishing Dailies bag)
   +100 Sharpened Fish Hook
   +    5 Weather-Beaten Fishing Hat
   +    5 Enchant Gloves - Angler
   +  10 Captain Rumsey's Lager

     Adding it all up gets you 680 fishing skill.  In Pandaria, it'll be 755 with these same buffs, assuming there's nothing new to fishing (which I'm sure there will be)

This makes me wonder if there are fish in the world that Blizzard put in that require some kind of superbuffed profession skill to acquire.
     I've also wondered if they've considered putting in items that require a profession's skill level above the current cap.  For example, Tauren have a boost to herbalism.  What if there was an herb that only tauren herbalists could get because it required 540 to pick it?  Aside from balance issues, I think it would be cool if there were reasons to boost your profession beyond the standard cap.
     Herbalism is a bad example.  Go back to fishing.  Imagine if there were a fish in Azeroth in a school that you could only detect if you had 680 fishing.  Imagine that fish was a Bloated Fat-Fish-O'-Fun and when you right-click to open - er, gut it, you get some random stuff from it.
     I think it would be cool, because it would add some more variety and diversity to the fishing skill.  When you think about it, right now, fishing is just... fishing.  But if getting that glorious legendary fish that Nat Pagle himself has been dreaming of means you have to get out there and become an accomplished angler, that adds all the more fun and excitement to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment