Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Sad Tale of Leyara

     I recently completed the Molten Front questline where you kill Leyara, the Druid of the Flame who was responsible for nearly killing Hamuul Runetotem.  As a reward, I got the Smoke-Stained Locket in my mailbox a short while later.  For those of you who haven't done the questline yet, and don't want any spoilers, avoid clicking the cut.  Just don't.


     I admit, when I first encountered Leyara, all I saw was one specific sinister druid of the flame among many.  Sure, she was powerful.  She did, after all, manage to trap and nearly incinerate Hamuul, a very powerful druid in his own right.  But that was all.  She was just a villain.
     By doing the quest that begins with the Smoke-Stained Locket, however, I got a real look at the depth of Leyara's character, and the sad story of her life.
     Her love, Valstann Staghelm, son of Fandral Staghelm, former Archdruid and now Majordomo, was torn apart by a monstrous Qiraji during the War of the Shifting Sands.  However, she was already pregnant with Valstann's child.  Fandral swore to protect her and his new granddaughter with everything he had, as they were the last family he had.
     As if the loss of her husband wasn't enough, we find out her daughter died.

     So much loss, so much pain, and the last person she has left in the world is in prison... Only he breaks out and offers her justice.  He offers her retribution against all those who have wronged her, all those who allowed her loved ones to die.

     So great is her pain that she accepts, and becomes a Druid of the Flame.

     It really is a sad story, and I actually do feel bad for her now that I've done it.

     Having said that, the item you get at the end of the line is Leyara's Locket, which will turn you into a Druid of the Flame for 10 minutes on a one hour cooldown.

     Once I got it, I spent the full ten minutes jumping around in circles doing the night elf flip jump animation and generally just... being on fire.

     I think this is one of the more entertaining transformation toys in the game thus far.  It's also really fun to be healing five-mans as a Druid of the Flame.  It tends to confuse some folks, which is always a bonus.






1 comment:

  1. It is a fun thing that locket :) Too bad I don't have 50 slot bags :)

    ReplyDelete