Saturday, February 9, 2013

Absolution

I'm a paladin.

That's not just my class, that's my chosen outlook on life.  Defend the weak and defenseless.  Throw yourself entirely into the pursuit of what is good and right.

I know this is just a game, the Warcraft universe simply a story.

But I've wanted the Lich King dead since I first saw him in Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos.


I got that game on August 14, 2002.  It was my 18th birthday.

I played the game relentlessly, following Arthas' path from student to leader to conflicted to monster.

I loved the story of the fall of Arthas and the rise of the Lich King.

For just shy of ten years, I've wanted to be the one to bring about his end.

I know it sounds foolish.  To anyone who doesn't play the games or doesn't really let themselves get immersed in a story, I probably sound like an idiot.

Tonight, after years of waiting and even more years of trying (PuGs are bad, mkaaayyyy?), I did it.

I finally did it.

I didn't realize just how important that was to me.  Until it was over.  The sense of relief I feel right now is familiar to me.  I get this feeling when I complete an exceptionally well-written book or series.  Or when I finish watching a long movie with a lot of great storytelling.

Two weeks ago, I threw in with a PuG on my old server.  I still have some toons over there, and I thought I'd give it a shot.

I went in on my warlock, simply because my tanks and healers weren't high enough to contend with the 90s in the raid.  DPS wouldn't be a problem.  I still outleveled the content, and I was there to see it end.

That first run got cut short due to some RL issues that popped up.

So, tonight I came back for another attempt.

And finally, after almost a decade, I won.  I beat the Lich King.



A special thanks goes out to Afanasi of <Purge>, Horde on Sisters of Elune-US.

He put the raid together, invited me to the party, and led the run like a well-oiled machine.

Thanks, Afanasi!

3 comments:

  1. Grats! Glad you finally got it, that must have been a great feeling :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats.

    And this is why, even if it is old content, it is still fun to run it. Just because someone else might have done something doesn't mean it won't bring a great amount of joy to another.

    My guild leader is like yourself. Played back before WoW even existed and he always said, I've spent my entire life for this moment. He soaked in our defeat of the LK and enjoyed every minute, you could hear it in his voice.

    Sadly, that was the last time he raided normally after being a dedicated raider from vanilla on. I once asked him why and he said, I beat arthas, there is nothing left for me now.

    He fills in from time to time now but spends most of his time leveling alts now and leaving the raiding to people that still have something to prove. He had his duty, a paladin as it was, and he did what he needed to do. Now he enjoys his retirement.

    ReplyDelete